Friday, August 21, 2009

Sewing Machine Fun.

My obsession over making shiny, pretty things has been revived recently with the introduction of a sewing machine. A nice lady I know was cleaning out her garage (she's moving), and she dug out her long-forgotten/forsaken sewing machine. Like many sewing machines, this one was purchased with many hopes and dreams. Sadly, after some blood, sweat, and tears involved in trying to master its functions, it was banished into the corner of the garage, never to be talked of again.

I have been longing for a sewing machine for some time, but was hesitant to drop a wad of cash on the wrong machine. I knew I needed one that is good enough to work well, but I would only need basic functions since I'd use it mostly to make quilt tops. So, when she was kind enough to pass this (free) machine onto me, I was happy. It is a Kenmore, and pretty basic in its functions - which is perfect for a sewing machine novice like me. It no longer had a manual, but I was still able to figure out how to wind a bobbin, thread the machine, adjust the tension, sew, etc. via the internet (thank you YouTube and About.com).

Maybe my next project can be a set of napkins (and possibly even napkin rings!!) and placemats for some friends that just bought a new home. Now I just need to be on the lookout for some pretty fabrics....

No comments:

Post a Comment