Monday, November 2, 2009

Oh, Shatner...Have You Lead Me Astray?

The day has finally come...I thought it would never happen to me...
But was I just internet-scammed??

The story: I booked airline tickets from Priceline and while I was done with my online order, a pop-up from another company called Great Fun appeared asking me whether I would be interested in getting rebates, deal alerts, and coupons. I was intrigued (and foolish) enough to click the link to their site, and filled out my name and address, thinking they would just mail me coupons here and there.

I did not fill out any of my credit card information at this Great Fun site, which I now know is an 'affiliate' of, but separate company from Priceline. But somehow, they still obtained this info from Priceline and was able to charge $11.99 on my credit card without my authorization.

When they charged this, my bank sprang into action and called me - this company is on their blacklist for customer complaints. I then called them to express my grief and to cancel my 'membership' immediately. It was no fun process...but it is done. There seems to be a lot of complaints all over the internet about this Great Fun and their sneaky, scam-y charges. Grrrr. Some people have had this small amount charged every month for years, without their knowledge.

This was the first time I booked something through a third party, like Priceline...and I don't think I will do it again. I really can't trust giving my personal and credit card information to agents that may give it out to other parties.

I apologize for this bummer post - but I was curious whether there are others out there that had similar experiences.

On a happier note: I am making a butternut squash soup today, so I can't wait for that! I will be picking up some crystallized ginger and heavy cream for toppings :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment